Instructor : 顧坤惠 (email@example.com) Tel : 03-574-2827 Fax : 03-572-2800 Office : c622 人社院
Time : Tue. 2pm-5pm Place : Rm c304 人社院
Anthropology and History have re-discovered each other in the last two decades. The goal of this course is to acquaint students with the recent development in historical anthropology. We will briefly review the history of anthropology to see how anthropologists have articulated the issues of time in ethnography and examine why the issues become increasingly urgent for anthropology as a discipline. Issues such as the conception of the past, social memory, the politics of memory, and different mnemonic mechanisms will then be discussed with ethnographic examples from different parts of the world. Finally, we will ask what the two disciplines have to offer each other.
Course requirements and grading:
Active student participation is required and will consist of preparation, class discussion, and oral presentation of project research. These three components will make up 40% of the final grade. The remaining 60 % will consist of written assignments in the form of short (1-2 pages) diary/critiques handed in for each class (30%), and a final research paper (30%). The diary/critique will entail an ongoing assessment of readings in light of class discussions and individual research. The short diary should be ready by 10am on the day of the class for the instructor. We will set up a mailing list for discussion and students are encouraged to take an active role in leading the discussion. No more than two absence is allowed.
All students (esp. those without anthropology background) are required to read the following articles prior to the second week of the term. The following items can be found in the library. Ask the librarian. Cohn, Bernard 1980 History and Anthropology: The state of play. Comparative Studies in Society and History 22: 198-221.Ortner, Sherry 1984 Theory in anthropology since the sixties. Comparative Studies in Society and History 26: 126-66.Faubion, James D. 1993 History in anthropology. Annual Review of Anthropology. 22:3 5-54.Stocking, George 1995 Delimiting anthropology: Historical reflections on the boundaries of a boundless discipline. Social Research 62(4)
Readings will be selected from the chapters of the following texts and other supplementary journal articles will be provided throughout the term. Week to week syllabus will be available on the first day of the class.
Biersack, Aletta ed. 1991 Clio in Oceania: Toward a Historical Anthropology. Washington: Smithsonian Institute Press.Borofsky, Robert 2000 Remembrance of Pacific Pasts: An Invitation to Remake History. Honolulu: U of Hawaii Press.
Cohn, B 1987 An anthropologist among the historians and other essays. Delhi: OUP.Comaroffs 1992 Ethnography and the Historical Imagination. Colorado: Westview Press.Connerton, Paul 1989 How Scoeities Remember. Cambridge: CUP.Evans-Pritchard, E.E. 1962 Essays in Social Anthropology. NY: The Free Press of Glencoe.Fabian, J. 1983 Time and the Other: How Anthropology Makes its Object. NY: Columbia UP.
Hastrup, Kristen 1992 Other Histories. London: Routledge.Levi-Strauss, Claude 1968 Structural Anthropology. London: Watson & Viney.Ohnui-Tierney, Emiko 1990 Culture Through Time: Anthropological Approaches. Stanford: Stanford UP.Rosaldo,Renato 1980 Ilongot Headhunting 1883-1974: A Study in society and History. Stanford: Stanford UP.Sahlins, Marshall 1981 Historical Metaphors and Mythical Realities: Structure in the Early History of the Sandwich Islands Kingdom. Ann Arbor: U of Michigan Press.
Stewart, M 1997 The Time of the Gypsies. Oxford: Westview Press.Thomas, Nicholas 1986 Out of Time: History and Evolution in Anthropological Discourse. Ann Arbor: U of Michigan.
Tonkin, Elizabeth, Maryon McDonald & Malcolm Chapman eds 1989 History and Ethnicity. London:Routledge.
For students who are interested in the parallel development in archaeology, please check out Historical Archaeology (periodical) for further readings.